Latest

EU Referendum Debate: To leave or not to leave, that is the question
 FirmNews 
Date
12 May 2016

EU Referendum Debate: To leave or not to leave, that is the question

On Thursday 5 May 2016, Mishcon de Reya hosted an EU Referendum debate in partnership with City Property Association. The panel, chaired by Professor Tony Travers of the LSE, consisted of six of the most well informed referendum campaigners; Mark Boleat, Chairman, Corporation of London; David Buik, Market Commentator, Panmure Gordon; Lord Howard Emerson Flight, Vote Leave and Conservative Politician; Sir George Iacobescu, Chairman, Canary Wharf Group; Gina Miller, Britain Stronger In and Head of Sales and Marketing, SCM Direct and Richard Tice, Co-Founder, Leave.EU.

Many issues were discussed, including security; immigration; trade; education; the law; finance; and the effect on the property market. The CEO of the developer of London's Canary Wharf, Sir George Iacobescu, warned that a British exit from the EU would worsen an already severe skills shortage in the construction industry and lead to an increase in construction costs. Click here to read Judith Evan's  FT article which references our event.

The audience poll at the start of the debate showed 84% to be favour of remaining in the EU and 16% in favour of leaving. The closing poll indicated that while the audience was slightly swayed by the leave speakers - by the end of the debate, the remain vote had dropped to 78% - the property audience's vote was still firmly in favour of remaining in the EU.

Click here to view a selection of photos from the debate