We are committed to reducing the environmental impact of our activities, and supporting our staff, clients and other stakeholders to do the same.
The most significant impact that we have on the environment comes from the emission of greenhouse gases through our day to day business activities – namely the generation of waste, and the use of transport, manufactured products, and natural resources. We aim to monitor the environmental impact of these activities and review them at least once every twelve months so that we can reduce our footprint year on year.
This year, and every subsequent year, we are committed to being a net carbon zero business. This commitment stems from a Firm policy, which has progressively driven emissions down year on year while offsetting any unavoidable emissions. Throughout 2020, we are working with our staff, clients and partners to shape a more supportive landscape for individuals and businesses to offset their unavoidable emissions.
Beyond carbon, our targets for 2020 are to:
- expand our use of technology and so reduce environmental impact wherever possible
- speed up our transition to paper-lite working
- become 100% single-use plastic free
- review our responsible and fair trade sourcing relationships with all our suppliers.
We will continue to:
- Procure a fully sustainably resourced electricity portfolio with zero carbon emissions
- Minimise electricity and gas consumption within our premises
- Have zero landfill waste
- Incorporate rainwater harvesting to maximise our efficient use of water
- Reduce the quantity of printed documents and support a paper-lite approach
- Have a reporting methodology for monitoring our transportation emissions and reduce their impact where possible
- Achieve appropriate procurement of all products with minimal environmental impact and minimal impact on natural resources
- Encourage staff to cycle to work and provide on-site bike spaces, showers and lockers
- Support commuting on public transport via season ticket loans for eligible employees
- Provide technology infrastructure and video-conferencing facilities to reduce the need for business travel
- Support our Firm-wide staff 'Environmental Team', empowering it to identify opportunities that minimise our environmental impact through new or improved processes
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation
- Continue to provide multiple waste streams to support recycling opportunities.